Thursday, 6 December 2012

The Underdog (*arf ! arf !)

                       

“The best revenge is massive success.” ~ Frank Sinatra
    
  I always liked those ‘comeback’ movies. You know… the ones with the less than popular or helpless character who reappears after some time has passed as successful in their relationships and jobs, is intelligent, charming, popular, and beautiful. I’m a sucker for the underdog.

       Perhaps I am so fond of underdogs because I imagine myself as one. Interesting train of thought; do I have something to prove to this world? In my heart, I know the answer is ‘’yes’’. Now, why is that? Perhaps I wanted to shake my fist at life for giving me a less than easy hand of cards and at the people who I felt had wronged me; but then again, without them, I wouldn't be the person I am today. Ecclesiastes 7:14 says that “When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider: God has made the one as well as the other. Therefore, a man cannot discover anything about his future.” The bible also says in Matthew 5:6 that “Your flesh cannot be satisfied; only your soul can. And your soul can only be satisfied in Jesus. Isn't that one of the Beatitudes Jesus gave?”
               
                 As a child of God and a follower of Jesus, I’m to love Him with all my heart, soul and mind (Luke 10:27). It also talks about not being able to truly love God when you love the things of this Earth (Matthew 6:24).

    Dare I say it? Perhaps I’m in love with the ‘comeback’. Now there’s a tough pill to swallow; as much as I want the things I mentioned as being a part of that seemingly majestic comeback. It’s of this world, so I can expect that none of it will last, it’s not anything that gives me more merit in God’s eyes. Striving for success, physical beauty, popularity… when did I embrace being of this world when my soul is crying out to embrace the royalty that comes with being God’s child?

Today, I am resolving to shed that ‘worldly’ skin for good. It was never becoming in God’s eyes anyways.

    To tie into success, want to know something? (You are in fact reading my blog, so I'll assume that you do - haha) I am where I am and have achieved success only though His blessings, when I was able to trust God with the ‘big’ things that I was trying to tackle. He knew my heart and generously poured out his blessing and gave me my hearts cry as well as what I was really needing.

      I guess that I just needed to remind myself of that today. Now there's a weird take on that whole "Earth to [Emma]" saying (I am sooo not punny). Anyways, my comeback comes when I take away its importance and allow God to equip me to do His work, glorifying him and not me will make me popular for his purpose, emulate beauty from the inside out, and give me success from doing what was seemingly impossible to those of this world.

    Thank you God for allowing me this time of reflection. Please forgive me for worshiping the idol of 'success' and 'vanity'.  I ask that you take the seat of honor in my heart once again and every day that I squish you out of the seat made for one instead of resting upon your lap like the beloved child that I am. I promise to try and remember to rest and find peace in you. Please help me keep the promise to remain on your lap.

I’m still a sucker the underdog but I won’t surround myself with aspirations to prove something to this world. Speaking of underdogs, wasn’t the greatest one Jesus?

Lots of Love, Emma.

There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness.  ~Josh Billings


P.S. (Fun fact: that stands for 'Post Script') Since you read so much, this is for you. ;) Mucho Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. An underdog who doesn't worship success? Check this out: (!)

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20631852

    ReplyDelete